Wednesday, 3 February 2016

PSYTHON - Outputs



PSYTHON from Sheffield UK is:

Bing Garcia
Will Price
Luke Rogers

There is a bit of a story to this. This blog, along with the podcast show, is slowly getting noticed and I now receive quite a few requests for reviews, mainly from tecchie, melodic, death metal bands. Now, I respect all kinds of genres, but tecchie, melodic, death metal is quite low in the grand order of things. So, when Bing from Psython contacted me to see if I was interested in reviewing 'Outputs' I took one look at the band name and cover of the album I immediately thought 'tecchie, melodic, death metal. Still, I'm keen to help any bands in any way I can, so I gave the album a listen.......twice. This album is a real surprise! I suppose, if you want to compartmentalise Psython, then you'll tag them as thrash. However, thrash comes in many forms, whether it is be the jagged crunch of Exodus and early Megadeth, or the blackened onslaught of Excoriate. On the second listen of 'Outputs' it suddenly hit me. The band that came into my head was Lamb of God......on speed. This is a blisteringly fast album, that sideswipes you right from the opener, all the way through to the final track. There are twelve songs in 'Outputs' averaging 3 minutes in length, and when the final track finishes, you are left wondering "where did the album just go"


The track from this demo is on the new release, but sounds far better on Outputs




After listening to 'Outputs' I have to hold my hands up and say that Psython has exceeded all of my expectations, and taught me the valuable lesson of not judging a book by its cover, or tag for that matter. For fans of Exodus, Megadeth, Slayer, Lamb of God, Havok, Cannabis Corpse, Ghoul etc, etc. Shit! I should just scrub that part and just say "for fans of metal......full stop.